HomeMe, Myself, and IRules of the BlogContact

Saturday, December 4, 2010

I want to change the world...

I love my job! I love my students! My students come to school without jackets because they don't have one, and I wish I could buy each and everyone of them a jacket.  We also have a Christmas store at school where the kids "buy" presents for their families, last year one of my students told me she couldn't buy me a present but instead wrote me the most beautiful letter promising to graduate from 8th grade and High School.  Her family is very involved in gangs, and at the time she was a 7th grader trying to get moved up to 8th grade (which she did!) I haven't seen her since she went to high school but she will always hold a special place in my heart.  What is the purpose of this post? I am trying to decide if I can give my students a small present, but what can I do?  I need some ideas! I have about 75 students but what does a school teacher do? I can bake for them but I am not exactly the best baker in the world, I will throw them a party but I want to make them feel special.  Is this wrong? Is this crossing a line?  Am I too involved? Probably but I think that's what makes me a better teacher the fact that I truly care about my students and if they do well in school and in life.  That being said I also want to change our school, it's falling apart and they refuse to do anything about it because in a few years (months, weeks, who knows?) it will be remodeled with state money and turned into an elementary school.  My school has been around since the 1930's and is so neat.  (yes I said neat!) It's also been around the neighborhood for so long that some of my students parents, and grandparents went to the school.  They also don't need anymore elementary schools, we need more middle schools but the elementary school is falling down too. This is why I haven't been able to write lately because I've been wanting to save the world and not knowing how upsets me.  That being said I hope my Jewish readers are having a very Happy Chanukkah, I know I am...

No comments:


Twitter   Pinterest   Email


Middle School Maven

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Chelle Creations



Clutter-Free Classroom

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved